by admin · February 26, 2015
Bananas are a fruity pleasure that is available to us throughout the year, and we can call them guardians of our health. It originates from Southeast Asia, the jungles of Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines. Their taste and excellent nutritional composition motivate people from more than 150 countries, to grow bananas and produce over 105 million tons per year.
The low amount of saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium, and rich source of fiber, vitamin C, B6 and iron are just some of the health benefits of bananas. In addition, some of the reasons to eat bananas are:
- Helps to overcome depression – high levels of tryptophan which is included in bananas, the body converts into serotonin, known as the hormone of happiness, which is responsible for the good mood and helps to easily cope with stress.
- Preventing the occurrence of muscle cramps and osteoporosis – bananas are a rich source of potassium, which plays an important role in maintaining the proper function of the nerves and muscles. The normal amount of potassium in the body reduces the amount of calcium which is lost in the urine, thereby protecting the bone from osteoporosis.
- Reduce high blood pressure – the consumption of salty foods and low amounts of potassium in the body increases blood pressure. Eating foods rich in potassium, such as bananas, reduce high blood pressure and risk of heart attack.
- Improves digestion – bananas contain fiber that improves digestion, stimulate the growth of normal intestinal flora and are useful to eliminate harmful substances from the body.
- Enhance immunity – due to the high percentage of vitamin B6, bananas stimulate the production of white blood cells. A favorable composition of minerals, makes it a great food for establishing electrolyte balance after diarrhea. In addition, bananas contain antioxidants that neutralize free radicals and thus protect the body from chronic diseases.
Source : pulse.ng