How to care for geraniums in autumn? Important tips for the maintenance of geraniums in autumnWhat is the planting period for geraniums?
Discover these tips that will keep your geraniums healthy and beautify your garden or balcony.
How to care for geraniums in autumn?
Geraniums undergo various transformations as the weather cools. As long as they are going through changes, you have to be very careful because they can very quickly wither away.
It is important to stop fertilizing them and not to give them fertilizer when they are about to go dormant. In addition, it is extremely important to clean flowers, leaves, but also sick or dry shoots, and then take great care of their soil.
For very good aeration, use a stick, but be careful not to damage the roots. When temperatures drop to 5 degrees Celsius or lower, geraniums should be kept in protected spaces.
During this period, it is important to reduce watering geraniums before changing their environment. Indeed, the soil must be very dry. Otherwise, the roots may rot.
Remember to water only when the soil is dry. Never keep soil moist because geraniums suffer more from overwatering than from underwatering. Follow the key rule of watering when topsoil is a little dry to the touch. Also make sure the pot has drainage holes.
On the other hand, autumn is also the time to cut the shoots of potted geraniums in half. After completing this process, place the flowers in the room where you plan to leave them during the winter. If the climate is mild, you can postpone the shortening of shoots until early November.
Important tips for the maintenance of geraniums in autumn
- When buying a geranium, it is important to choose the smallest.
- Always buy healthy geraniums without signs of disease or dry leaves.
- Grow geraniums in enriched sand and peat mixtures or in garden soil.
- Move purchased geraniums into spacious pots or planters.
- Geraniums can live 40 years or more if we take care of them properly. For geraniums to bloom healthy, they need several hours of light. Therefore, if you have a very bright balcony, take the opportunity to plant your geraniums in this corner. Of course, try to do it during the afternoon, so they will receive some shade to avoid overexposure and eventually get damaged. The ideal temperature for this type of plant is between 18 and 20 ºC.
What is the planting period for geraniums?
Between late February and early March, you can repot your geraniums in fresh soil. It is preferable to use for this a special geranium potting soil, in which seedlings or geraniums will be placed. At first, pelargoniums need a lot of nutrients, so you can add an extra dose of fertilizer to the soil. Place the pots in a corner of the window so that they receive light