Being the king of the French table, how can we give a second life to stale bread? Thanks to this trick, your family will see nothing but fire!
Few things are as delicious as a freshly baked loaf of bread. But it’s hard to eat a whole loaf while it’s still fresh. However, storing it is a losing battle, as it only takes a short time for it to become dry. In fact, it loses its moisture through a process called starch retrogradation. During this phenomenon, the crumb hardens and loses its elasticityThus the bread becomes dry and begins to crumble.
So what to do with bread that has suddenly become rock hard? There is a very simple trick to soften it quickly.
Soften stale bread in the microwave
- Wrap the bread in a slightly damp towel.
- Place it on a dish that can go in the microwave
- Run at maximum power for 10 seconds.
- Check if it has become soft and repeat the operation if necessary.
Other alternatives for softening stale bread
Put the hard bread in the oven to give it back its crispness
- Take your bread and dip it lightly with water.
- Place in the oven at 200°C for 5 minutes.
Please note :
- Your bread is now fresh, so don’t wait long to taste it, because it will soon lose its moisture again.
The trick of celery to make bread more tender
The celery method can also moisten sliced bread, but it takes a bit of time because you have to let the bread absorb moisture all night.
How to proceed :
- Slip a stalk of celery inside the bread bag (with the bread inside, of course) trying to close it tightly;
- Then place the bread bag in the refrigerator and let it sit for several hours or even overnight;
- Remove the celery stalk from the bag. It should be quite dry and hard at this point, as it has lost a significant amount of its moisture.
Bonus: an anti-waste recipe to make with stale bread
According to ADEME, in France, each inhabitant throws away 4.5 kg of bread per year. This is a huge figure, especially since this waste can be avoided with a few recipes and good reflexes. Apart from the fact of put pieces of hard bread in the blender with spices or herbs to turn it into breadcrumbshere is an anti-waste recipe to enhance your soups and salads:
- Dice the stale bread;
- Heat a frying pan with olive oil, add salt and brown the croutons over low heat;
- Add garlic, Provencal herbs or spices of your choice.
No more waste! Thanks to these tricks, you will finally eat the bread without throwing away a single crumb. Plus, it will still be crispy and chewy. But still remember that in some cases it would be impossible to recover it.