If we don’t use a particular group of muscles for some time, they will become weaker and eventually atrophy.
A perfect example is a leg injury, like a broken bone (fibula), where you must then rest for some time or use a wheelchair in order to let the bone heal. In meantime your muscles aren’t active and become weaker with time. The same process happens with the muscles surrounding your eyes.
In case you are wearing glasses and you don’t actively do eye exercises, your natural vision will gradually weaken. Your eye muscles, called extraocular muscles, need strengthening exercises, same as any other muscle in your body. These muscles control the movement of your eyes.
Strengthening Eye Muscles
To begin the process of strengthening your eye muscles and regain your vision follow these guidelines:
- Avoid strain or hard pressure on your eyes. It is highly recommended to close your eyes for several minutes, every 2-3 hours.
- Start doing eye gymnastics – 16 eye exercises designed to strengthen your eye muscles. Just follow these lines with your eyes:
- Reduce how often you wear your glasses;
- Implement everyday massage on the specific points around your eyes:
- Apply light pressure on your eyeball with the tips of your index and middle finger. Press the eyeball lightly so you don’t feel any pain. Then press these points with your index finger twice.
- Try to make effort to look into the distance or horizon while walking outside.
- Consume carrot juice with a few drops of olive oil daily.
- Wash your eyes with lukewarm water.
- Avoid PC or laptop use for at least 2 hours before bedtime.
- Try practicing the Indian exercise “Trataka” to further help your vision.
What is Trataka?
Trataka is simply a directed, focused look which fixes at a specific point – a small object, flame, light, dark spot… It is a type of visual reflection for creating focus, reinforcing of visual perception and stimulating the of ‘third eye’.
In the first phase of the exercise, you need to focus on a symbol or some object and stare at it continuously, paying attention to every emotion and every thought and releasing them in order to have your mind focused on the symbol/object without distracting thoughts.
When tears start forming on your eyes, close and give them a rest. Aim to endure with your stare as much as you can before tears start flowing from your eyes.
After two to three weeks of following the guidelines, you should notice and improvement in your vision. It can be faster focusing, better peripheral vision, less eye strain, etc.
Did it help for you? Let us know in the comments.
Don’t Forget To Share With Your Friends And Family On Facebook, As You Might Help Someone In Need